What is it?
A Summer University is an international summer camp in most of the cities in which AEGEE is represented. They are organised on a non-profit basis by AEGEE members, therefore the organization is different for each city. Understanding and exploring the multicultural dimension of the European continent, removing national borders, fighting for tolerance and creating open-minded citizens are some of the reasons why 15 to 50 young Europeans from all over Europe come together in each Summer University to taste the diversity of multiculturalism.
Between one and four weeks. The usual duration is two weeks. All SUs are held between June and September.
There are several types of Summer Universities that you can choose from:
Travelling Summer University (TSU): The Travelling Summer University is organized by two or more locals. During the 2-4 weeks of cultural trip through a part of Europe, the group stays in at least 4 different places. The aim of this event is to combine the different lifestyles and cultures of the places visited with a course provided like in Summer Course. Since there is a lot of time spent in travelling, the tuition hours are less than Summer Course, but at least 10 hours per week. The fee includes lodging, two meals per day (of which one is warm), travel costs from the first to the last place mentioned in the programme, and a social programme.
Summer Course (SC): The Summer Course is a course about a specific topic ranging from language and local culture to environment and politics. It has a duration of two to four weeks. Participants receive at least 14 hours of tuition per week. The fee includes tuition, lodging, two meals per day (of which one is warm) and a social program.
Summer Course Plus (SC+): The Summer Course Plus is mostly the same as the previous one with the great difference that participants receive at least 18 hours of intensive tuition per week by professionals on the topic, with duration between 11 and 28 nights The fee includes tuition, lodging, two meals per day (of which one is warm) and a social programme.
The price per week is 98€.
The method of payment depends on the SU. You may have to pay 50% in advance and 50% upon arrival, 100% in advance, 100% on arrival, or you might be asked to send as confirmation your flight tickets.
See "Payment" on the left of each description of a SU to find out how payment should be done for that particular SU.
What is included in the price?
- Accommodation during the whole event.
- Meals: Two per day of which at least one is warm. Vegetarian, non-pork food and other special requirements will be provided.
- Transportation during the event, tickets to recreational sites, cultural landmarks, activities, museums... and everything else included in the program. And of course the parties!
What is not included in the price?
- Transportation (plane, train ...) to where you are going to participate in a SU.
- Activities not included in the program. Some SU can offer a unique activity for an extra fee (for example, entry to a water park), which is optional and if you do not want to participate, organisers will provide you with alternative program.
- Your pocket money to spend during evening social activities.
The minimum number of participants is 15 and maximum 50. The average is 25 places.
The participants come from any of the other AEGEE locals who are scattered across Europe. Normally participants don't know each other before coming to the SU, so everyone will be eager to make friends with others. What characterizes AEGEE is that people are very open and there is no prejudice about people and where they are coming from.
It depends on the SU. It may be a hostel, camping, tent, gym, houses of AEGEE members, student flats,... In any case, if you want to know more details about the accommodation, read the "lodging" specification in each SU description and if you still have doubts, contact the organizers of the specific SU.
English is the official language of AEGEE. You will be able to discover that you know more English than you think because you'll be 24 hours a day with about 30 people from across Europe, which necessarily have to communicate in English! It is also a great way to practice your various other languages with native speakers.
The SUs are organized by students like you, voluntarily (AEGEE is a non-profit association) and it has nothing to do with a travel agency. You will become friend of the organizers, because they're like you; you'll have fun with them during the day, they will show you their city, sleep in your same accommodation, and go out partying with you.
If you want to enjoy a sun and beach holidays in a luxury resort, this is not for you. If you want an unforgettable holiday with other young europeans like you in, this is what you've been looking for!
Each SU has a different program according to their topic and capabilities. Usually every local has a website or facebook page specifically appointed for their SU where they share lots of details about the program.
How to apply?
- Become a member of AEGEE-Leuven
- Get your AEGEE Intranet account (in the future also OMS)
- Choose up to three SUs. Check the list here
- Submit your application including a motivation letter in which you explain who you are, why you want to participate in the SU you chose, etc. Attention: the selection is mainly based on the letter, so be specific and do a good self-PR!
- Deadline for 1st round applications is 15th of April
- If you didn't apply before 15th of April, you can still apply for an open call!
For more information click here.